100% Recycled Paperboard Wins In National Competition
WASHINGTON, D.C.—One hundred percent recycled paperboard packaging won 11 awards in the National Paperboard Packaging Competition, hosted by the Paperboard Packaging Council (PPC) and announced at an awards banquet on March 24.
The winning packages demonstrated the versatility of coated recycled paperboard (CRB) as a packaging material as well as the wide variety of product categories that are now utilizing it. Winning CRB entries encompassed packaging for frozen food, club store, personal care and household products, among others.
"These awards are a testament to the quality, value and performance properties of 100% recycled paperboard," said Paul Schutes, executive director, RPA-100%. "The use of 100% recycled paperboard packaging is increasing as consumer packaged goods companies realize that it is functionally equivalent to virgin board grades with comparable smoothness, strength and brightness."
This year's award-winning 100% recycled paperboard packaging included:
• Foods - Cereals: Tran-Z-Print(TM) General Mills Shrek 2(TM) Cereal Box Promotion by Zumbiel Packaging for General Mills, Inc. (.024 CRB)
• Toys: Lego Star Wars by Color-Box, LLC (Harrington, Del.), for Lego Systems, Inc. (Combination e flute, f flute and .028 CRB)
• Frozen Foods: Wong Wing Take Out by Cascades Boxboard Group for Les Aliments Wong Wing, Inc. (.024 CRB with freezer sizing)
• Frozen Foods: Texas Toast Club Store Pack by Caraustar Custom Packaging Group (Mentor, Ohio) for Cole's Quality Foods, Inc. (.012 CRB top sheet laminated to single face e flute)
• Bakery Goods: Peek Freans Festive Classic Biscuits by Cascades Boxboard Group for Kraft Canada, Inc., Peek Frean Bakery (.022 CRB)
• Bakery Goods: Kraft Mini Ritz Scuba 5th Panel by Cascades Boxboard Group for Kraft Canada, Inc., Montreal Bakery (.020 CRB)
• Foods All Other Dry Foods: 1.4kg Minute Rice by Cascades Boxboard Group for Kraft Canada, Inc. (.026 CRB)